Wednesday, February 20, 2008


AMATEUR ASTRONOMY:
PROGRESS OF THE TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE IN WINNIPEG: ENTRY 2:
It is now about 8:38 pm here in Winnipeg, and the eclipse has progressed so far as to begin to obscure the Seas of Tranquility and Serenity on the right hand side of the Moon. the graphic on the left, by the way, is of when the eclipse is almost over. presently darkness is proceeding from the lower left corner of the Moon. Both Saturn and Regulus are presently much more prominant than they were before. I still cannot see the other stars of Leo. Understandable given as I am watching the eclipse from the middle of the city, ducking out into a windchill of -38 with benefit of toque but little else. The plastic straps of my binoculars become stiff outside within seconds. The radio informs me that the Royal Astronomical Society here in Winnipeg have set up a telescope down at the Forks, as they often do for major sky events. I don't think they'll have much of a turnout at temperatures like this, especially if you have to run major distances to get warm again. I hope for the sake of all my fellow sky buffs that they have a short and clear run to warmth.

No comments: